Sunday, January 25, 2009

How do you stop history from repeating itself?

A very dear friend of mine (I will call her "K"), albeit MUCH younger, but still dear just found out she is pregnant. She is young, unmarried and her boyfriend is a complete tool. This girl has been a part of my life for quite a few years and has really become part of my family. I've often told her mom how much she reminds me of myself at that age. Goes to show I wasn't too far off. This time nine years ago I was sitting my parents down and telling them that I was pregnant. I'll never forget that look of disappointment in their eyes. Now K is going through the same thing. She has a crappy, dead-end job with no prospect of advancement, she is young and doesn't have a specialized skill, but worst of all, she has a boyfriend that she loves more than he loves her. How do I make her see that she is better than that and that she deserves better than that? I grew up in a fairly strict family, so making things work was a given. But how do I let her know she doesn't have to follow that same path? That just because he's the father doesn't make him a good life partner, much less a good dad? How do I make her see that she has worth and that she can do this without him? I've made the best of my situation, but I want more for her.

No comments: