Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Watch Me Run!

Ok, so I probably don't qualify as a "runner". I'm more of a very fast walker or a slow jogger. Wogging? Jogker? Regardless, I am still doing it. My good friend Christie and I keep each other in check. We are there to cheer each other on and provide a little kick when needed.

When I began walking back in July I never thought I would be getting ready to run my third 5K. (Third in 3 weeks!) I am actually kind of impressed. Other than gymnastics or softball, I never really stuck with anything. And I think when I started all of this, I got a lot of behind-the-back eye rolls and such. I'm not sure what kind of confidence people had in me. Heck, I'm not sure I had it in myself. But, with each week I felt myself getting stronger; both physically and mentally. I'm not fast by any means. When I did my first 5K (Race for the Cure), I was extremely nervous. I didn't want to make a fool of myself. But, I asked that God calm my nerves and He did. As we took off running, my eyes welled up with tears. It was a great feeling to see so many people out for a great cause. As I crossed the finish line (upright), I was again all teary. I waited for Christie and as I saw her round the corner my heart swelled for her. I cheered her on and hugged her as she crossed the line. We did it again last weekend for Rosstoberfest. We both improved our time and made it up the giant hill without dying. And now we have our third one this coming weekend. It is the Prairie Fire 5K. We run against the Mayor of Wichita. And, we all get medals! It will probably be the one and only I get in my running career so I will take it!

When I started walking and adding in the running, I prayed to God that He would strengthen my heart, lungs and body. That He would help me get back that mental strength I have lost somewhere along the way. That I would regain the faith in myself even if nobody else had it. And He has provided. Every night that I go out, I still pray and I give thanks to Him. I may not be a true runner, but I am in my own heart.

Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

1 comment:

Christie said...

You are a true runner!